Monday, September 14, 2009

HOW LUCKY I HAVE BEEN

I was in Los Angeles a couple of weeks ago for the Jewish Agency North America. Flying home I had a chance to reflect on just how lucky a guy I have been.

While in Los Angeles I met with wonderful federation lay and professional leaders truly and fully dedicated. I had lunch with John Fishel whom I have known since he left Montreal to professionally lead Los Angeles 17 years ago. He came to a community that was beset with financial woes then unknown to any other major City; working in the most complex, sprawling environment, he stabilized the federation. I like to think that John, with whom I have visited at least twice each year since he came to LA, is a friend. He will leave his position on December 31. I am certain that he will continue to do important work for our People.

I also had the chance to spend some time with our friend, Jerry Bubis, whose works and lifelong commitment to our Community with a capital "C" have inspired so many of us. He is distinguished by his continuing dedication at age 85 to the organizations to which he has dedicated his work and life -- organizations that have been the beneficiaries of true genius and his love.

A "typical" visit, I would say. Just as two weeks later I broke bread in Napa with a former San Francisco CEO with whom I developed not only respect and regard but an abiding friendship. And, so it goes. These friends are men and women with whom I did not or do not always agree but our disagreements have always been l'shem shamayim. I know that so many of these men and women are engaged in building community, in trying to hold community together...and out of that understanding has grown mutual friendship and respect.

Wherever I am fortunate to visit, I have had and have the opportunity to speak and listen to women and men whose lives and commitments have been and are a beacon for me through Jewish communal life. How lucky I have been; how fortunate I am. And, then, I began to wax nostalgic about the great friends I have made across the Continent -- lay and professional leaders alike -- through the years of my communal work.

From the days of my work within the United Jewish Appeal, the Council of Jewish Federations and the NCSJ, at JDC and JAFI, within UJC during its early years and at UIA. All that I have learned about community I first learned within Chicago and then expanded my knowledge through the work that you do. I can't think of a visit to a community on behalf of one organization or another where I didn't learn from those of you whose responsibilities were and are to not only hold your communities together but to build them, to create them anew. Even on visits that have been disappointing for me in terms of outcomes, I have come away energized and reenergized by you and by your dedication to Community and Peoplehood. So many of you in lay and professional leadership across our Continent have become good and supportive friends

I have been and am a very lucky person. I owe all of you so much for your friendship and for all you have taught me and for the inspiration that has infused my life with greater purpose.

Rwexler

No comments: